Thursday, September 15, 2011

Can you get a Master Degree in Education without a Undergrad in Education


Can you get a Master Degree in Education without a Undergrad in Education?
I am currently getting a 2nd Bachelors Degree in CSI(Computer Science Information) and wanted to know if you can get a Masters Degree in Education after receiving a BS or BA in something other then Education? I would like to go on to get my Masters Degree in Teaching but would like to know if this is possible. Thanks all that answer
Teaching - 9 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
No, first u will have to do B.Ed


2
Yes. Some schools actually prefer it that way. For example, Im getting my bachelors in English then my masters in Education because thats how my university told me to do it.


3
Depending on where you live it may or may not be possible. In the United States, different states have different laws for getting a teaching license. Usually it is possible to become certified in Teaching if you don't already have an undergrad degree however. Ex: A person with an Undergrad in Mathematics could get their graduate degree in Mathematical Education.


4
You can from certain Universities. Most of the time this still requires some undergrad work. For instance at Truman State University they specifically design their undergrad program to lead directly to the Master of Arts in Education (MAE). You get your undergrad in a related field (history, biology, English, etc.) while taking a few education courses (four or five if memory serves). This prepares you for Masters work if you are accepted.


5
I did. My undergrad is in languages, my masters in education. I went to college and grad school in NY.


6
Call and ask the school that you're interested in. I work in an MSW program and we'll accept any bachelor's degree from an accredited university, you do not need a BSW to get into our program. Programs vary from site to site. Good luck!!


7
Yes. Southeastern University in Lakeland, FL has such a program. http://www.seuniversity.edu/ I am sure other schools do too.


8
Yes, you can. But when you are looking at masters programs, be sure to look for programs that include "initial certification" as part of the degree. I am assuming that because you want a degree in education you want to teach or do something else in the education field (ie. administration). Because you did not get a bachelors in education, you do not have teacher certification. You will not be able to teach without certification. So talk to the advisors about your goals and they can get you on the right track. Most masters degrees in education do not include certification because they assume you already have it; however, there are programs out there that do exactly what you want to do; just be sure to look for "initial certification." I think it's awesome that you already have a CSI degree because this could help you in SO many ways. You could become a computer teacher, and there is a lot of money out there for schools to improve their technology. This might even lead to a job in the technology department of a school district. Technology is becoming more and more important each day to education. Good luck to you!


9
Yes, absolutely... at least in Maine. That's what my plan of action is. I'm currently a Communications major, so I will be coming out of school with a BFA in Communications. After a year or so, I will be going back for the "Extended Teacher Education Program," which is a one year consolidated course which will lead to my graduation with a Masters in Education.

0 comments:

Post a Comment